This dataset is a collection of records from the MLA International Bibliography for the journal American Literature for three different years, 2010, 1980, and 1950. My analysis here focuses on subject terms, including the subject author, date, and type of work information as well as the subject terms describing the content of the articles.
In this set of transformations for this data, I will:
- Make explicit the kinds of choices that go into collecting a dataset like this
- Explain how to access and download this sort of data
- Demonstrate how to extract the subject terms from the records
- Split these terms into separate datasets for analysis
- Walk through some strategies and questions for each of the datasets
- Analyze the results and identify new research questions